I ran into an unreconstructed conspiracy fan’s web site while looking for something else. 10 questions that haven’t been answered about 9/11, and some sanctimonious cheering from the sidelines. Its here:
The first response is Sept 13, 2004, so its from the early days.
And the 10 “unanswered” questions are:
THE TOP TEN UNANSWERED QUESTIONS ABOUT 9-11
1. NONEXISTENT AIR DEFENSE.
Why weren’t Air Force planes sent up to intercept the hijacked planes?
More at: http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/timeline
2. BUSH’S REACTIONS ON 9-11.
Why did George Bush go into a meaningless photo op in an elementary school after hearing that an airliner had crashed into the World Trade Center?
More at: http://www.cooperativeresearch.net/timeline/main/essayaninterestingday.html
3. THE COLLAPSE OF THE TWIN TOWERS.
Why did the towers collapse? No steel skyscraper had ever collapsed because of fire….it appears that the towers actually fell due to a controlled demolition rather than fire…
More at: 911research.wtc7.net/talks/towers/introduction.html
4. THE COLLAPSE OF WTC BUILDING 7.
Don’t forget about this building. Yet another steel skyscraper collapsed from fire that day. None ever, and then three, in one day…. the 57 floors of the building couldn’t have ‘pancaked’ individually and still reached the ground at freefall speed.
More at: http://www.wtc7.net/videos.html
5. ATTACK ON THE PENTAGON.
Why won’t the Pentagon release their video footage of this event? The event was perhaps the most bizarre of all. Consider Question #1 again. The plane that supposedly struck the Pentagon was known to have been hijacked for 45 minutes – after two other planes had already been hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center. Yet this plane supposedly flew unchallenged over the most protected airspace in the world, and then crashed into the headquarters of our trillion-dollar military.
More at: 911research.wtc7.net/talks/pentagon/video.html
6. CRASH IN PENNSYLVANIA.
Why was the debris from this plane spread out over eight miles? … Numerous eyewitness accounts suggest the plane was shot down by another, unmarked plane.
7. THE CLEANUP LOOKED LIKE A COVERUP.
Why was the debris from the Pentagon and the World Trade Center destroyed immediately after 9-11? … the steel from the collapsed WTC was immediately shipped to Korea and China, where it was melted down within days…
More at: http://www.wanttoknow.info/9-11cover-up10pg; and 911research.wtc7.net/wtc/groundzero/cleanup.html
8. INSIDER TRADING.
Who were the big investors who knew 9-11 was about to happen? Although the stock trading on American and United Airlines was up by 1200% the day before 9-11, no public investigations into who profited were undertaken.
More at: http://www.hereinreality.com/insidertrading.html; and http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j121901.html
9. THE FEDERAL COMMISSION.
Why did Bush block the formation of the 9-11 Commission? …nothing about the 9-11 Commission was independent.
More at: http://www.joycelynn.com
10. LARGER MOTIVES.
The people running our country right now – Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Libby, Abrams – are all connected to a group called the Project for a New American Century (PNAC)….
More at: http://www.newamericancentury.org/defensenationalsecurity2000.htm
I couldn’t stop myself and replied, thus:
Ten years later, it may finally be sinking in that 9/11/01 was Al Qaeda’s best day ever. None of the conspiracy theories have the legs of Bush, Cheney, etc, willing to bend any excuse into war with Iraq, right out in public. There is plenty of public record to explain what you present as mysteries:
1) No Air Defense? Correct. Two planes on standby without weapons, orders or authorization. There are tapes and transcripts of all the FAA-USAF conversations you care to hear. Astute people had warned, written thrillers and worried in private that terrorists could hijack an airliner and use it as a weapon. “Bin Laden Determined To Attack US” couldn’t get any attention. And the Republican line was that President Clinton’s cruise missile strikes against Al Qaeda was a wag-the-dog move-. Self inflicted blindness.
2) Bush’s reaction? Are you serious? Entirely consistent with his reactions at any other point. After 7 more years of presidency, I’m confident we saw the authentic, incurious, unprepared President George W. Bush in that classroom.
3) Twin towers brought down by some other agency. Bullshit. Fires weakened the structure, weight did the rest. Once one floor had pancaked, the weight of the multiple floors above the fire was going all the way down and nothing could stop it. The top floors are pretty intact as they disappear into the dust cloud, and there’s nothing left when the dust clears. After essentially a free fall for over 500 feet, what size chunk would you expect?
4) Bullshit. A pancaking building is going to be in free fall after a very few stories go- the dynamic load is gigantic compared to the strength of the building.
5) Sorry, video coverage of the whole country isn’t as good as in a Tom Clancey or Robert Ludlum novel. Watch the video of an F-4 Phantom sledded into a concrete block some time. Much denser and stronger than any airliner, it just turns into crap and flies off in little pieces, inch by inch, as it comes up to the block. That’s where the plane went. Full throttle into a building. The fuselage is a hollow aluminum tube filled with plastic, people, chairs and luggage. All the rest is sheet aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber. The only solid bits are the high pressure core of the engines and the landing gear legs.
6) Pieces which may have come off Flight 93 were found some distance from the crash site. Not big pieces. Not 8 miles, that’s an exaggeration of the 6ish-mile road distance, not straight-line, between a general area in which debris was reported and the crater. We don’t know what the flight path of 93 was in its last seconds, what forces it was subject to. At 500mph, a 757 would cover 8.25 miles every minute, the mile or two between debris on the path and the crater were covered in the last 15 seconds of the flight.
Name one “eyewitness” who saw an unmarked plane. Describe the plane. How would they know a plane at several thousand feed was ‘marked’ or ‘unmarked’? Ever been to an airshow? Seen a modern, marked military plane flying? Could you swear to what the markings were?
7) This is simply not true. Debris from the World Trade Center site went to a specific dump where detectives from the New York City Police Department did indeed search for human remains and any other clue to what had happened and who had been killed. They have been interviewed. There is film of them working. They are one reason so many of those killed were positively identified. Over 2000 US service persons are still “missing” from the Korean war. Over 70,000 are still “missing” from WWII. The serious fire was in far less than 5 1/2 floors of either building, so the fire-damaged material was less than 5% of the total rubble- much less, since the fire consumed office contents and anything remotely flammable.
8) There were people who knew, in addition to the 19 guys who did it, and some may have traded. Its been 10 years, surely someone has done some excel spread sheets showing trading volume, time of day, etc, in the year up to 9/11, and the immediate 24 hours before the first impact. You think Elliot Spitzer would have turned that down if there was a case?
9) Who cares how long it took to form the Warren commission, you don’t believe its report either. C’mon. Bush fought tooth and nail because he’d been asleep at the switch and his chicken hawk pals reflexively assumed they knew more than the civil servants and political appointees from the Clinton administration. Because. And then they ignored the actual bad guys and their funding sources and anything else uncomfortably realistic and went after Iraq. Because.
10) Plenty of evidence, see above, suggests that the publicly known outlines of the 9/11 attacks are about right. We know who did it. We know how. We know why. We know where the money came from. We know something about who helped plan and carry out the attacks.
The ensuing 10 years of “war on terror” and its aftermath should surely have demonstrated how the bad guys were able to get away with it. If that isn’t enough for you, have a look at New Orleans, where the only serious shooting was our own cops shooting civilians. None of what happened within the city limits of New Orleans was about ‘nature’. It was a man-made disaster, composed of neglect, hubris, indifference, political, social, racial, ethnic and class hostility, blah blah blah.
Is there any hidden evidence of incompetence, malfeasance, inflexible and incurious habits of thought, or reckless disregard for our country’s values, history, future, standing or founding principles half as damning as that which the Bush administration did in plain sight? How many naked men, dead, bound in duct tape and sealed in a wooden box, do you have to discover, to know that we’ve gone off the rails? How many billions have to go up in smoke? How many pallets of shrink-wrapped $100 bills cast on the wind?
In the end, one should never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity or foolishness. You want conspiracy? Go look at Wall Street and the recent economic catastrophe. Its there. Everyone knows its there. Some will even get addressed. Someday. Posthumously, maybe.